Plot Evaluation Exercise
Read “Building a Story #1 and #2” from my Writing Articles. Then evaluate the plots of various stories from short stories, novels, and movies. Make it a habit to look for these various plot elements.
1. Who is the protagonist?
2. What does he want? (goal to achieve, situation to change, or decision to make)
3. What are the stakes? What will happen if he loses?
4. Who is the antagonist? (nature, another person, self)
5. What is the dark moment?
6. What is the outcome? Is it satisfying?
7. What is the theme?
8. What kind of hook does the writer use?
9. Is there a time bomb? If so, what is it?