As Christian workers, our busy lives sometimes don’t leave much time for reading for pleasure. When was the last time you read a Christian novel? Maybe Christian fiction seems like a waste of time when you could be doing something more profitable, but consider this:
- Stories broaden your world and help you understand other points of view.
- Reading builds vocabulary, writing skills, and creativity.
- Reading slows memory loss in later life.
- Reading helps you escape from your problems and rest.
- Reading relieves stress (and who doesn’t need that?)
- Reading good Christian novels fills your mind with good things.
- You can read wherever you go, even while you are waiting.
- Reading is fun!
This summer as you head toward the mountains, the beach, a national park, or your relatives, don’t forget to take a book or two. Load up your e-reader with quality Christian fiction and be ready for everything from a peaceful quiet time to a long ride in a car.
Need help to get started? Check out my list of 5 fiction books and 2 nonfiction books about cross-cultural relationships and ministry.